The United States has had a rather eventful history — in spite of its being considered a somewhat young nation. Born out of a revolution, the United States is full of interesting turning points. History scholars have long been fascinated with the mix that has led to the rise of one of the most powerful nations ever to exist in a relatively short period of time.
You don’t have to be a history professional, though, to enjoy the history of the United States. Many people find history — specifically U.S. history — a great hobby. If you are interested in learning more about the history of the U.S., you can read some of these 50 American history blogs:
Colonial, Revolutionary and Early Nation
The history of the U.S. before it became the United States is fascinating. Learn more about the history of America while it was still a colonial outpost. There are numerous blogs on the Revolutionary War, as well as the history of the young nation near the time of its birth. An interesting and turbulent time.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Features a number of blogs from Colonial Williamsburg.
- Boston 1775: A great analysis of Boston at the start of the Revolution.
- British Soldiers, American Revolution: An interesting look at “the other side” during the Revolution.
- American Revolution & Founding Era: An interesting look at how the U.S. got its start.
- Roger’s Revolutionary War Blog: Commentary and correspondence from the people who lived the Revolutionary War.
- Living in Williamsburg, Virginia: This cool photo blog offers interesting insight into colonial times.
- American Revolution Blog: Offers tidbits from the era of the American Revolution.
One of the most interesting periods in American history is the Civil War. Learn more about the different factors that led to the war, as well as what happened during and right after the war.
- Civil War History: Offers a look at Civil War history, and the latest happenings in the Civil War buff community.
- TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog: These amateur historians are obsessive about the Civil War.
- The Seventh Rhode Island Volunteers: A blog devoted to these brave fighters.
- The Abraham Lincoln Blog: A fascinating look at the 16th president of the U.S.
- Battlefield Wanderings: This Civil War “nut” wanders battlefields and shares insights.
- Civil War Bookshelf: A journey into Civil War history, using publications about that era.
- Bull Runnings: A look at the First Bull Run battle of the Civil War.
- Cenantua’s Blog: Thoughtful reflections on the South during the Civil War era.
- Civil Warriors: A great look at the Civil War from knowledgeable contributors.
- Rantings of a Civil War Historian: This lawyer brings an interesting perspective to the Civil War.
- Renegade South: Looks at unconventional southerners, especially during the Civil War era.
- Wig-Wags.com: Contemplates U.S. military history, and other military history as it relates to the Civil War.
Other Military History
The participation of the U.S. in two world wars, a Cold War and other military engagements, leads to interesting stories from soldiers and others.
- World War II History: Daily information about what happened on this day in WWII.
- World War II Database: Get historical information and more from this blog.
- The National World War II Museum Blog Central: Helpful information, events and more regarding WWII.
- Military History Blog: Great insight into different aspects of military history, including U.S. history.
- Naval History Blog: The U.S. Naval Institute updates this blog with cool posts and multimedia.
- Blog Them Out of the Stone Age: Offers an interesting and broad view of military history and national security issues.
- This Day in U.S. Military History: A great blog that offers an easy to navigate view of what happened today in U.S. military history.
- Counterterrorism Blog: An interesting look at modern history as it unfolds.
- Military Blogs: Military.com offers a list of military blogs that let you see modern history being made on the battlefield.
- Kennedy’s Military History Blog: Looks at military history, including U.S. history.
- Military History Podcast: Different stories and commentary on military history, including plenty of U.S. history.
- WW1: Experiences of an English Soldier: These real letters from a British soldier in WWI can provide insight into what U.S. soldiers might have experienced.
Find out interesting historical data about the economic history of the U.S. and other issues that might be of interest. Modern era U.S. history blogs like to include economic history.
- The History of Economic Recession in America: Offers a look at the U.S. and recession.
- Economic History Blog: Includes information about economic history, and offers insight on U.S. economic history.
- Socio-Economics History Blog: Considers questions of economic history and more.
- Grasping Reality with Both Hands: This economist offers a look at how past economic history influences today’s events.
- Finance: History and Policy: Considers what is happening now — and what happened in the past — of financial history in the U.S.
- The Coming Depression: A future history blog that draws on past economic history to predict what could be next for U.S. economic history.
- Sound Money: An interesting look at U.S. financial history, and what comes next.
General and Political
If you are looking for a more general overview of U.S history, and if you are interested in the political history of the country, these blogs can be quite helpful. Interest insights for the generalist.
- Teach History: Covers a range of U.S. history subjects from colonial times to now.
- Historiann: An interesting look at gender politics in U.S. history.
- Native America, Discovered and Conquered: A look at Manifest Destiny and westward expansion.
- Blog 4 History: Looks at interesting facts, stories and more related to U.S. history.
- Explore Southern History: Information on the culture and history of south, and includes interesting travel ideas for today.
- Religion in American History: Religion has always been a part of U.S. history. See how it has influenced the country’s development.
- Western Americana: Enjoy historical facts and information about the American West.
- U.S. History Teachers Blog: Great resources for learning about — and teaching — U.S. history.
- Groves U.S. History Blog: An interesting place for history students to share their thoughts about American history.
- U.S. Intellectual History: Reflections on the development of U.S. thought.
- Legal History Blog: Focus on legal history, especially in the U.S., and how it influences today’s law.
- American Presidents Blog: A look at the Presidency throughout U.S. history, and America’s presidents.
If you enjoyed this article, please .